Box Hill is a respectable middle-class eastern area of larger Melbourne in Victoria, Australia. Via the freeway it is fourteen km's from the cbd of Melbourne. The present town of Box Hill has an established population of just below 12 000 individuals. For administrative reasons, Box Hill is currently part of the City of Whitehorse.
Before the arrival of Europeans the area was home to the Wurundjeri Aboriginal people. The first European land owner was Arundel Wrighte who had a a pastoral lease for the land in 1938. Box Hill was initially officially declared a city in 1927 with it rising over the next century into their own city. In 1871, the inhabitants of the township was 154 and it was mainly orchards, wineries along with other combined types of farming. During this time the township had been a key market hub for the fruit and vegetables that were grown in the area back then. Box Hill was absorbed into greater Melbourne in the 50's included in the eastern growth of Melbourne. The exact term of Box Hill had been selected at a gathering in 1860 of local residents submitted a variety of popular location names. A competition occured and was won by a local store owner, Silas Padgham, who was also the initial postmaster of the region. Silas had been born in Box Hill in Surrey, England, and this end up being the term for the town.
Lately, Box Hill is recognized for its considerable Chinese population with over 65% of the population not being born the country. Box Hill also has Melbourne’s tallest high-rise properties away from the CBD and because of sometimes it is referred to as Melbourne's second city. It has now become a important transportation centre for the eastern suburbs with one of the most busy suburban train and bus depots. It has a important hospital that initially opened in 1956 along with a major shopping precinct. The region is served by 3 high schools and a TAFE along with quite a few primary schools and pre-schools.
A large landmark in Box Hill would be the old Surrey Dive which has been a well-known swimming lake. It was never a real lake, but a hole that was dug to supply clay for the brick manufacturer near by, beginning in 1880 that filled with water. You'll find a number of unsubstantiated gossip and accounts about drownings at the lake. Surrey Dive was developed back then into one of Australia's top swimming competition spots. It was used in competition until the 30s, when a swimming pool had been developed near the Dive. The building of the brickworks still exist however hasn't operated for a long time and has ended up being the victom of graffiti spammers and vandalism these days. Because of this it is currently fenced off and run down. The massive smokestack still cast a shadow over the dive. The Dive has become a decorative lake and the home for a model boat club. The lake has stopped being used for swimming. That old brickworks is a secured heritage site.